Friday, January 31, 2014

How can we say goodbye

Today is one of those days where I am reminded that every dog I work with I form an attachment with. Their success is part of me. Their failure is part of me. I fall in love a thousand times.

It has taken a long time but when Greyson lays his head on my leg, looks up at me with those dark eyes and just sighs my heart melts. I've worked long and hard on our bond. It's one of the reasons I use only positive reinforcement now. I love the bond that is formed between dog and dog owner. I relish in seeing an owner know that their dog is truly happy.

I was in the paper last week and the headline in the middle page said "I don't train dogs. I teach owners to work with their dog's capabilities. " It is a phrase I  stand by. I love when an owner checks in and is so excited about what their dog can do and to see the dog happy brings me joy.

In the process I thrive on the interaction with the dog. I love being able to have them eager to work on cue for me and be thrilled to do it. Every time a dog greets me with a wagging tail and happy smile I melt just like I do with Greyson.

I bond as well with our dogs we work with. To have the dog come running at me to sit and get rewarded with even a pat on the head is important to me.

This past summer I held puppy classes. Toby was one of our students.  His owner is the type of student who wants to do it all right. She cooked for Toby. She clicked and treated his good behavior. She checked in routinely and we visited together. Part of our teaching is that we are a lifetime support. We are here to help. Always!

Toby was diagnosed with HGE disease.
( http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/hemorrhagic-gastroenteritis-in-dogs/764) Toby was treated and came home. He went back to being normal, silly Toby. This Monday we met at the pet store to discuss him joining a group class as an adult dog. He was skittish of men so we wanted to make sure he was comfortable in the setting. When a man came into view we got his attention and he took treats and was doing well so he was a perfect candidate for group class.

Last night his HGE came back. He had already been at the vet for IV fluids and his owner was doing all the right things still. Today he lost his battle. He passed away and to say I'm sad is an understatement.  I love our client dogs and I take this personally.  To lose a dog so young is heartbreaking. 

Then I start to think of Greyson's mortality. How is that a dog who has had everything possible done to him and had all the wrong treatment AND a shortened life span and he is still here. Life is truly unfair. Tonight I will stay home and curl up with Grey and be thankful for life's little miracles.

This picture is Toby when I visited him. His transformation from goofy puppy, to gangly teenager was an honor to be part of. To say he lived with positive in his life because of me is an honor!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Toby the six weeks I spent with you was an honor. I still remember trying to teach you to play "fetch" I do believe nothing was accomplished but fun. The look on your face when I would throw the toy and then run enthusiastically for you to follow and help get it. I know how proud your mom was of you. You could see it in her eyes when you would ace a cue. Her love for you was unconditional. It is amazing how quickly you can fall in love with a dog. As I tell people I have 4 furkids, a fur nephew, and MANY MANY loved dogs in my life. And sweet Toby I loved you...no the word loved is wrong...I will always love you. Run free dear boy.

    ReplyDelete